Join our cooking class with Chef Lin, a local expert on Lanna cuisine (Northern Thai food)/ As a child, she learned her way around the kitchen by helping her mother prepare food and desserts that they sold in the local market. She started her cooking school in 2014 with her passion for cooking and sharing Lanna food with the world.
Your host will pick you up from your hotel, then continue to a local market with numerous fruit, vegetable and meat stalls. At the market, she will introduce you to the ingredients typically used in Lanna cuisine, and which you'll use in your cooking class later.
Then you'll head to the cooking school to Hang Dong. This is a countryside town about 20 minutes south of Chiang Mai city. On the way you will pass by the local communities surrounded by rice fields and fruit orchards that will give you a view of how locals live.
Once you've arrived, you'll be welcomed into the organic garden and open-air cooking studio. We use traditional styles of cooking with charcoal and ancient Thai cooking tools. We will cook three Lanna recipes and one dessert.
The menu will change seasonally, but may include Keng Hung Lay (Chiang Mai Curry), Sai Aao (Chiang Mai Sausage), Keng Care (local vegetable and chicken curry), Khao Soi (Chiang Mai Noodle), Tom Som Kai Bai Makham (Hot and Sour Chicken Local Soup with Tamarind Leaf) and Taam Kanoon (Jackfruit Local Salad). You can also learn how to make fresh coconut milk, fresh rice flour and sticky rice.
You get to eat everything you cook, and hot coffee, tea and water are included. A recipe book will be provided for you to take home. Then your host will take your back to your hotel.
You can choose 3 main dishes and 1 dessert.
Learning how to cook sticky rice is included.
Main dish choices :
1) Sai Aou - Chiang Mai Sausage
2) Mix local vegetable curry with chicken OR Sun Dried River Fish OR Frog - (can make for vegetarian)
3) Hot & sour local chicken soup with tamarind leaf
4) Kaeng Hung Lay" - Pork belly Burmese style curry (Chiang Mai Curry)
5) Northern Thai red curry with Pumpkin (can make for vegetarian)
6) Abb Pla - Grilled Fish wrap in banana leaf
7) Abb Moo- Grilled minced pork wrap in banana leaf
8) Abb Oong Ao - Grilled minced pork mix with pig brain wrap in banana leaf
9) Tom Yam Jin Kai - Chicken Northern Thai style spicy soup
10) Tom Yam Kob - Frogs Northern Thai style spicy soup
11) Yum Nor Mai - Bamboo shoot local salad (By season) (can make for vegetarian)
12) Kaow Soi Kai - Chiang Mai noodles with chicken (can make for vegetarian)
13) Naam Prick Noom - Green Northern Thai chili dipping paste (can make for vegetarian)
14) Naam Prick Oong - Tomato Northern Thai chili dipping paste (can make for vegetarian)
15) Kaeng Hed - Mix mushroom local curry with Sun Dried Fish (can make for vegetarian)
16) Taam Kanoon - Young Jack fruit salad with Pork (can make for vegetarian)
17) Laab Moo Kao - Chiang Mai minced pork spicy salad
18) Laab Pla: Minced fish spicy salad
19) Laab Kwai; Chiang Mai minced beef spicy salad
20) Tom Yum Hed - Mushroom local spicy soup (can make for vegetarian)
21) Kaeng Kanun: Young Jack fruit local curry (can make for vegetarian)
22) Saa Plee: Fresh banana flower spicy salad with minced pork (can make for vegetarian)
23) Saa Yod Makham On; Fresh tamarind leaf spicy salad with minced pork (can make for vegetarian)
24) Kanoom Jean Naam Gaew - Rice local noodle with pork & blood curry soup
25) Tam Mamong - Green mango spicy salad with dried fish (By season) (can make for vegetarian)
26) Kaeng Aom - Mix Pork meat Chiang Mai red curry
27) Kaeng Pak Kad Sai Makewn and local chicken- Flowering cabbage spicy curry with chicken and Makewn (Zanthoxylum limonella Alston) (can make for vegetarian)
28) Kaeng Plee Moo - Banana flower local curry with pork bone. (can make for vegetarian)
29) Jor Pak Kaad Moo - Flowering cabbage sour soup with pork bone (can make for vegetarian)
30) Kai Muang Nung - Locals Chicken Steamed with curry paste
Dessert Choices :
1) Kanom Wong-Chiang Mai Donut (can make for vegetarian)
2) Kanom Krok - Thai coconut pudding (can make for vegetarian)
3) Kabong - Deep fried pumpkin (can make for vegetarian)
4) Kaow Naew Lamyai - Sweet Sticky rice with Longan (By season)
Depending on your recipe, you may also learn how to:
Get to know your instructors for this class.
Pick up service is included in the price and we will pick up you from your hotel within 3 kms. from Chiang Mai downtown.
You will receive the confirmation of your booking's availability within 24 hours. Once confirmed, please present your booking reference number at the cooking school.
Full refund will be issued for cancellation made at least 48 hours prior to the activity
240 Moo.2 T.San Pak Waan A.Hang Dong, Chiang Mai 50230